Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rhubarb Jelly

I had a fabulous childhood.  There is absolutely no doubt about that.  I had 1000 acres to play on with my brother and sisters, 100 different pets throughout the years, and playgrounds that don't exist in town (hay bales, grain augers, the bean buggy, the barn loft, livestock chute, and tractors to name a few).

Throughout my college years, I have realized that there was something else that made my childhood one of a kind: I ate like a king.  My mom made EVERYTHING from scratch when I was growing up, and I mean everything.  We grew most of the food we ate: cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, sweet corn, and more. We ate the beef from out cows, bacon from our hogs, and eggs from our chickens.  My mom NEVER bought break-and-bake cookies or biscuits in a can.  (I say this all in past tense, but it this is how it still is now...give or take a few cans of biscuits.)  And I thought pretty much everyone did this....until I went to college (okay, so that's somewhat of a lie, but you get the point).

The point is that I was one lucky kid, and I want to pass that onto my kids someday.  I'm in this phase now where I am trying to make more homemade food.  (I am currently practicing my kolache skills, but the volcano-like pastries that come out of the oven may not be blog worthy for quite a while.)

One of my favorite foods was the rhubarb jelly my mom and grandma used to make.  I had some leftover rhubarb that needed to be used, but thought that jelly was way out of my league.  Enter "Our Beary Best Cookbook."



Adorable, right? This is a cookbook was made for a fundraiser for the Catholic school in Howells long ago.  In other words, recipes by real Czechs=legit.
Anyhoo, there was a SUPA easy rhubarb jelly recipe that I tried.  Here is the recipe:

-5 cups of diced rhubarb
-2 cups of sugar
-1 package of strawberry jello

Mix rhubarb and sugar together and let sit overnight. (I have no patience for this.  I let it sit for an hour.)  Boil mixture in saucepan for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and add packet of jello and stir.  Let cool and put in the cutest mason jar that you have.  Refrigerate and enjoy the best jelly you've ever had!




Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. You're a really good writer. And I want some of that jelly. omg YUM.

    ReplyDelete