Saturday, January 4, 2014

Scallops and Tassels

I haven't done a DIY post in a while.  I'm currently working on a tutorial now, but in the mean time I thought I would share some of my Christmas projects this year.

I have recently been OBSESSED with scallops and tassels. I couldn't resist when I found the tutorial for this bag.



I made these bags for some of my classmates.  You can find the tutorial I used here.  The tutorial was really well laid out and it showed me an easier way to put in a zipper.

I decided to only put the scallops on one side so I could embroider their names on the other side.  I recommend doing the embroidering before cutting the fabric.




In the tutorial, she uses leather for the scallops, but I used vinyl fabric I found at JoAnn's.  If you're going to try this, make sure to put tape on the bottom of your sewing foot or the vinyl will not feed through evenly.




I decided to add the tassels for a little extra something.  I used my rotary cutter to cut the fringe on the vinyl, rolled the fabric, and used hot glue to secure.  Super easy.

Lastly, I highly recommend spraying the bags with Scotch-Guard fabric and upholstery protector.  It really helps to keep them clean longer.

I don't have pictures of the insides of the bags, but I picked out different fabric for each bag that I thought each of my classmates would really like.  It's always nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for stopping by!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment