Friday, January 10, 2014

I'm surviving my first week of fieldwork....and liking it!

That's right.  My second biggest fear of OT school is finally here (the first would be boards).  Although I was so nervous when I started Monday, and probably still will be for a while, this fieldwork is turning out to be AWESOME!

I could go on and on and on about all of the cool things I have seen this week (and to think that this is only the first week!), but I wanted to share my favorite part.

One of the main things OTs focus one with kids are their play skills.  All of those toys you played with as a kid were actually really important in developing all of your motor, cognitive, visual perceptual, and a million other skills. 

Toys for kiddos with special needs are crazy expensive.  Some of the therapists at my site went to a class to learn how to adapt normal off-the-Target-shelf toys.  This week we worked on adapting a power wheels cars so one of our kids who doesn't have the motor control to work the foot pedals or steer the car can drive it.  Dream job? I know.




The therapists went to a program called Go Baby Go to learn how to adapt these cars. This is such an awesome resource for families that don't want to spend tons of money (and they shouldn't have to either) on a toy that their child is going to outgrow in a few years anyway.  They give a detailed tutorials on their website to adapt these cars.  I just thought this was so awesome I couldn't help but share.







And yes, the car we adapted was actually the Mater car like this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment