Friday, September 19, 2014

DIY Pom-Pom Stripe Pillow




I am currently blogging from the Omaha airport.  I was supposed to fly out to DC at 1:00 this afternoon, but my flight got delayed (surprise, surprise).  I wasn't going to make my connecting flight in Chicago, so they put me on the only nonstop flight to DC.  (HOORAY!!) Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the airport for 3 hours.  Luckily they have complimentary wifi.  (Reason #758 that Nebraska is the best place in the world)

Anyway, here is a project I recently finished that I wanted to share.  I am in the process of redecorating my room.  You may remember my coral and gray color scheme I had when I lived in KC.  I decided to change it up a bit and decorate with navy and cobalt blue.

I found this pillow in Anthropologie.

Tassel Trace Pillow - anthropologie.com



I knew it would be perfect for my room.
All you need is:

-6 yards of pom-pom strands
-1/2 yard of fabric
-matching thread


I cut 2 squares of my fabric to measure 18"x18"
Then I cut 12- 18" strands of the pom poms.

Lay out 4 pom pom strands evenly spaced out on 1 square of your fabric.  Pin.

Sew the strands to fabric.  I used my zipper foot to sew them so the poms wouldn't get in the way.
It is very hard to get these perfectly straight when sewing them down, so don't worry about it being perfect.  Do this for all four strands.

After you've sewn the first strands on, sew the next strands onto the fabric with the zipper foot.  Sew the pom poms all in the same direction so they don't get in your way.
To complete the stripes, sew three strands of poms to complete one stripe.

And you should have something that looks like this:

Now pin the right side of the pom-pom square to the right side of the other square.

Stitch around the pillow.  Leave an opening to turn it inside out.

Turn the pillow right side out.  Fill with polyfil and stitch the opening closed.
Easy-peasy!

And here it is on my bed along the with pillow I made in this post.
I guess I have an obsession with Anthropologie pillows.

P.S. I'm going to post a tutorial for the tassel garland soon!

Now excuse me as I google image Nebraska government officials to see if there is anyone familiar on this flight.

1 comment:

  1. Oh My GOODNESS!!!! Your bed is AMAZING!!! How gorgeous!! Love both of your DIY pillows! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete