Tuesday, June 3, 2014

DIY Towel Rack

When Sarah and I first moved into our apartment, I new right away that I wanted to get rid of that ugly standard towel rack. I was in the mood to build something, so I began hunting around the old sheds at home to see if I could find anything I liked.

Upstairs in our house, these are the baseboards and corner pieces that outline all of the doors and floors.  When I was looking around at home I found left over baseboard and corner pieces.


I took 4 four corner pieces and a 25 inch piece of baseboard, sanded them down, and painted them antique white.





After a second coat and when they were completely dried, I drilled a hole through the center of each of the corner pieces.  (Don't you just love the detail on these pieces?!?)



I decided to use drawer handles for the towel hooks.  The corner pieces were too thick for the screw to fit through and hold the drawer handles.  I used a 1 inch woodboring tool to fix this problem.  It you ever use this, make sure the set your drill on the highest setting.  



As soon as this was done, the screw was long enough to hold the drawer handle on.  I repeated this for all four corner pieces.  


The drawer handles were from Lowe's!


I then took the four corner pieces and screwed them onto the baseboard.  I attached 2 sawtooth hangers on the back of the baseboard to hang it.   
I had to take my old towel hanger off the wall, which was easy enough, but I may or may not have taken some of the drywall off.  I will deal with it when I move out. 

And here is my new and improved towel rack:





The apartment is still coming together, but I hope to do another apartment tour post soon!

Thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment