Saturday, March 15, 2014

DIY pattern pop tee

Hey there.  It's been a while. I just got back from a fabulous sister trip to San Diego for my spring break.  It was bomb dot com! I will be posting pictures soon.

In the meantime...
Have you seen these pattern pop tees from Anthropologie?

       Front



It's moments like these when I'm really upset that I didn't think of something like this first.

I have a bunch of clothes I finally sorted out of my closet, but I just can't give them to Goodwill yet.  I know I should, but it is just so hard to give old clothes away!  If I can't give them away, I can surely refashion them, right?

In this pile of 'need to go to Goodwill' clothes, I have all of these t-shirt that I love the colors of, but they are the fitted kind and I just don't wear those anymore.  I figured this project would be perfect for them.
The great thing about using your old clothes to make new ones is that I don't have to spend hours in the fabric store picking out fabric!

Exhibit A


I got this dress and Target a few years ago and the t-shirt is from Express.  I loved the fabric on both, but the fit just wasn't in style any more.  So I got to snipping!


I cut the back off minus the top portion.  


I used the piece I cut out to make a pattern for my patterned piece.  
I cut out the top first, sewed it, and then decided where to cut the sides.  



Cut the side on a diagonal so the bottom of the shirt is flowy and bigger than the top.  Sew the sides together and hem the bottom.  I hemmed it so the bottomed was rounded and longer than the front.  

The last touch was to make a pocket for the front from the leftover fabric.

And here's how it turned out.  I've even worn it a few times already.  I may be making more :)



If you're into refashioning this is great blog to check out: Refashionista

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is adorable!!! I have given up sewing otherwise I would totally try this out. You make things look too easy. I LOVE THIS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete