Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Peppernuts

Merry Christmas!!
I thought I would share one of my favorite Christmas recipes.  No Brichacek Christmas was ever complete without peppernuts.  It's impossible to eat just one!
P.S. Horses really like these too!

What you need:
1 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup molasses
2 eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Ginger
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Allspice
1 1/2 tsp Anise
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
10 cups of flour


1. Boil sugar, margarine, corn syrup, and molasses.  Let cool.


2. Add the rest of the ingredients (minus the flour) to the cooled mixture.  Make sure the mixture is cooled, especially before adding the eggs, or you will have some fried eggs in your mixture.  (No lie, this happened to me.)


3. Add the flour, one cup at a time, until you can need the dough.  I don't think I used all 10 cups to achieve this.  

4. Roll the dough into ropes and cut them into small slices.  




5. Place them on a baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.  








We usually eat them plain, but grandma told us they used to dip them in coffee.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment