Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DIY Tassel Garland

So my bedroom makeover has been a very long, slow process.
I started with my coral and gray color scheme that I had since living in KC.  
And I still like it, but after a couple years of so much pink I was ready for a change.

I poured over a million different Pottery Barn pictures and decided to do a cobalt blue/white/neutral color scheme.  You've seen my new nightstand and new pillows in my previous posts, but I still needed to do something with the headboard.  After a million more Pottery Barn pictures, I decided to make the headboard neutral too. (All I did to make this headboard was cover the inside of these frames with fabric and quilt batting.)


So then I felt like it looked much more mature, but there was so much empty space going on.

Enter the tassel garland.  I have seen them all over the place, and thought it would be a great (and really cheap) way to bring some more color in.



Here's what you need:
-fabric in the color(s) of your choice
-scissors or a rotary cutter (the rotary cutter really cuts down on your time---no pun intended)
-floral wire
-twine
-wall hooks


I decided that I wanted my tassels to be 8" long with about a 2" loop.
I cut each piece to be 20"x 9".

Fold it in half.

Cut 3/4" x 8" strips.  Do not cut through the folded side.


Open the fabric strips and roll the fabric at the uncut portion.

Fold the tassel over to make a loop.

Tie the loop off with floral wire.

Cut the excess wire off.

Use an extra strip of fabric to tie around the loop to hide the wire.

Now do that for all of the tassels you want.

Lay them out in your preferred order. 
(You have no idea how much time I spent making the order look random.)

String them onto the twine.

Attach the hooks to the wall and string the garland onto the hooks.

And here it is! 

I'm still on the hunt for a different lamp and considering adding a couple of these prints above the garland too, but I'm getting closer!

Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I am TOTALLY making myself one of these very soon!

    ReplyDelete